Things to Consider When Choosing Home Care in Hampden, MA
Find out about things you may want to consider when choosing home care.
Caregiving is a unique gift you can provide to another person. You may choose to be that special person for a senior or you may hire a paraprofessional. The individuals that provide home care for seniors are extraordinary. It takes a great deal of patience and not only must the senior feel supported and cared for, but you must have support for yourself.
If hiring a home health aide, many home care providers advise you to prepare yourself for what can be an overwhelming process. Keep in mind that you are looking to hire someone to care for another person, and this aid must fit your criteria but also the needs and likes of the care recipient. Comfort Keepers suggests considering the type of home care that one expects to receive. Typically, there are two types of care, skilled care that covers medical needs and custodial, or unskilled that includes personal care, light housework, or companionship just to name a few.
Things to Check When Choosing Home Care
Try using a checklist to review what daily routines and in what situations the senior may need some extra support.
• Bathing- Once in the shower or tub can they bath themselves or do they need assistance in and out as well as personal bathing?
• Dressing and grooming- Is the senior having problems with buttons and zippers, and is this making it difficult to dress and possibly risking the occurrence of an accident?
• Toileting- Is your parent or senior experiencing incontinence and finding it difficult to maintain their sanitary needs?
• Walking- Whether the care recipient may use a cane or a walker, do they need additional assistance transferring from a sitting position to standing and walking?
• Eating- Has there been a change in appetite? Either the senior is not eating or eating foods that do not contribute to a healthy diet. Do one or more of the above conditions prevent them from shopping or preparing meals?
These are just a few of the changes that will alert both you and your loved one or senior that you might want to contact a home care provider. Evaluating your loved one's needs is the answer to a happier healthier tomorrow.
Comfort Keepers is proud to serve the following areas of Massachusetts and Connecticut:
276 Hazard Ave #3, Hazardville, CT 06082